Friday, April 01, 2011

April Fools day: Screenprinting Craft Fail!!

In the spirit of the season, let me share with you what a COMPLETE fool I was a couple of weekends ago!

...

So, I was scheming away for the British TV Comedy swap on Craftster and I thought it would be a good idea to have a go at screen printing for the first time!

I'd head from various sources that you could do it with some old tights, PVA glue and an embroidery hoop... well... You  probably can, but I fell flat on my arse. Observe...

This was to be my design, I thought, nice and simple... I was going to make a matching tote bag and purse out of fabric I'd printed with this image .... HA!


I got my equipment together, I even got an array of different types of brushes so I could apply the PVA more accurately!... anyone whose done this before will already see my 2 fatal flaws:
  1. Black tights... I only wear opaque tights... and most of them are black. But of course, when it can to trace my design on my screen made of stretched tights... well.. I couldn't! they are black!
  2. Cheap PVA glue. I think this was the MAJOR downfall here as I did manage to get the design sorta right... anyhow... .lets continue...
I prepared my fabric for printing, weighed it down with Tuna tins (mmm)


One last look at the screen... looks good:

I'm ready to go:

So lets try it out on some scrap fabric first... oh... oh... .OH NO...

That's not right at all.... OH MY GOD ITS GONE RIGHT THROUGH!!!

AND IT'S EVEN WORSE THAN THAT!!!

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH Grab the cleaning stuff GRAB ANYTHING!! If the Husbot sees this he'll go SPARE>!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(don't worry.. it all came off.... well... it all came off the dining table... the fabric still has a stain in the  middle of it even after I chucked it in the washing machine.... but I can't really complain about that science the purpose of fabric ink IS to stain fabrics....)

MORAL OF THE STORY KIDS!! use mod-podge or some other super gloopy PVA glue... well... Thats what I'm going to try next anyhow... with me luck!!!

x G

No comments:

Post a Comment