Monday, June 07, 2010


oh yea she did!!!! ... YUP! I took a superman suvet cover and sewed into this SUPER cute summer minidress! I'm SO proud of this one it's unreal... oh yea there are things I could've done better... nothing's ever perfect, but it's SO DANG close!

Are you sitting comfortably? then I'll begin...
Basically a few weeks ago I found a He-man Duvet cover in a charity shop which I then sewed into a floaty prom-dress . . . which was very good! but I did it very hastiliy without really making much of a connection between the fabric pattern and the dress style. also This prom-dess style dress is not suited to all venues ... see exhibit B:

As you can clearly see... (1) this dress makes me look like the side of a house (2) if you're not 'dressed up' it just looks like a nighty.... anywhoo... it still got me geek points at the party.

Well... as fate may have it I got a very vintage looking Superman Duvet cover from a Colchester chairty shop (while I was in town for the above party infact!) and felt I'd been given a dressmaking second-chance, If I was to reincarnate this bedding into something more wearable I was going to think about it more this time!

Did it turn out as I planned?!? of course not! but  the modifications to the plan, I think, suit the pattern of the fabric much better! than what I'd planned!

First of all I use the Ute bouse pattern as a base for the top. As you can see on the burdastyle website, this version of the blouse has sleeves, I did intend to use these (even cut them out and interfaced the cuffs and everything) but I ended up omitting these because it has been BLOODY hot in the UK for the last week or so and I really wanted the dress to be finished ASAP.

Then I used Grosgrain's tutorial on turning a blouse into a dress ... but of course! I didnt have to make the blouse and then cut off the bottom! As it was a print at home pattern I could just simply cut off all the pattern pieces at the waist! surprising how much fabric that saved! 

Originally I'd planned to make a longer ciscle skirt by adding panels ot the bottom... but again! it was hot and I was impatient!

also ANOTHER cool thing about this dress.. the 'button' closure? PRESS STUDS! from the bottom of the duvet cover! upcycling FTW!!

Also, that bias trim :-) I MADE IT! ... that took a while... but I've got loads left! It's the first time I used bias biding, it's not that tidy, but not many people are looking at my arm-holes! ;-)

G x


  1. this looks absolutely fantastic and i can't believe you made it. how long have you been sewing? and do you reckon anyone can learn? because i'd really like to start :')
    but yeah just thought i'd let you know.

  2. Sewing is a lot easier than many people think it is! I've only been sewing since february this year... so ... about 3/4 months.

    Prior to blogger I used this:
    to document my sewing journey, as you can see, I started with a bag and just want from there!

    If you're interested in sewing I really suggest the burdastyle website, it's a really good community of crafters!

    let me know it I can help in any way, thanks for checking out my work!

    The Geeky Seamstress xx

  3. Hey! i have been looking for superman dresses EVERYWHERE! i <3 superman! i have hats, shirts, sweaters, bracelets, necklaces a backpack, and even shoes! i would LOVE if you could make me a superman dress! i would pay you ANYTHING! please respond! thanks! EmOly Stevens